DetailsBack to Test Directory
Room Temperature, 7 days; 2-8° C, 21 days -20°C, 8 months
Allow to clot for 30 mins, centrifuge within 2 hours
Calcium is the most abundant and one of the most important minerals in the body. It is essential for cell signaling and the proper functioning of muscles, nerves, and the heart. Calcium is needed for blood clotting and is crucial for the formation, density, and maintenance of bones and teeth. This test measures the amount of calcium in the blood.About 99% of calcium is found complexed in the bones, while the remaining 1% circulates in the blood. Calcium levels are tightly controlled; if there is too little absorbed or ingested, or if there is excess loss through the kidney or gut, calcium is taken from bone to maintain blood concentrations.